Deltek Pulse: Architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) month in review, January 2017
One underlying trend that Deltek observed for the second half of 2016 was a continue decrease in the number of architecture, engineering and construction (AEC) projects issued by state and local agencies. In January 2017, that trend reversed in a big way. Bids were up 35% from December 2016, which should be taken with a grain of salt due to the traditional holiday slow down. However, the increase over September and October 2016 is approximately 15%. January experienced the most number of projects issued since August 2016. We won’t know for sure if this increase is a blip in the trend line or something that will continue for 2017 until we make our way further into the year.
In January, city governments released the most bids, with 32.5%, followed by state agencies at 30.9%, with counties and universities following at 14.8% and 7.5%, respectively.
Regionally, the South continued to be on top with 35% of solicitations, followed by the West at 24.5%, Midwest at 21.2% and East at 19%. One surprise for the month was the high volume of bids coming out of Weld and Arapahoe Counties in Colorado, which topped the list in January, beating out Los Angeles, California.
Notable Solicitation Releases
- The California Department of Transportation solicited bids for a Realign Roadway and Construct New Bridge. Responses are due March 30, 2017.
- Homer, Alaska solicited bids for Professional Engineering Services for the Planning, Design, and Construction Administration of Road, Trails, and Drainage Improvements. Responses are due March 13, 2017.
- Atlanta, Georgia solicited bids for Plane Train Tunnel West Extension Phase 1 – Progressive Design Build. Responses are due March 16, 2017.
Notable Contract Awards
- The city of Memphis Tennessee awarded a contract to Ritchie Smith Associates for A/E Services Related to the Overton Park Cooper Street Trail. The value of the contract is $29,000.
- The New York Office of the State Comptroller awarded a contract to Parsons Brinckerhoff, Inc. for AG Design Service Term Agreement in Allegany Genesee & Niagara SP Regions. The value of the contract is $1,500,000.
- Cook County, Illinois awarded a contract to Meade, Inc. for Electrical and Mechanical Maintenance for 2017. The value of the contract is $2,877,000.
New Lead Alerts
- College Station, Texas budgets $200,000 in FY17 for a Community Center Planning/Design.
- The Florida Department of Transportation budgets $630,000 in FY17 for Major Highway Design, Controlled Access Highway Design, Minor Bridge Design, Signing, Pavement Marking and Channelization.
- The Town of Parker, Colorado budgets $200,000 in FY 17-18 for Salisbury Park North Design.
You can learn more about current procurement opportunities in the GovWin IQ State, Local and Education Opportunities database. Not a Deltek subscriber? Click here to learn more about Deltek's GovWin IQ service and gain access to a free trial.
- Federal Agencies
- Technology Areas
- GovWin Recon
- State, Local and Education