Hiring Talented People is a Start Empowering Them is the Next Step
In today’s agency world, no one will argue that talent is more important than ever. The right people will always make the difference whether you’re pitching a new client, developing strategy, or executing on it. What you may not have full visibility into is how your people are working - or how to help them perform at their best.
Without the right tools and processes in place, even the best people can't get their work done.
The tools and systems that keep your agency running are just as important as the people using them.
Tools allow people to execute their ideas and show off their talents, from violin or paintbrush to tablet or laptop. The best Formula One racer in the world, without his car, is just a guy in a helmet and a fireproof suit. Systems, on the other hand, keep people in check, and maintain both consistency and accountability – so your agency as a whole can run like a well-oiled machine.
Together, systems and tools allow your staff to “be their best selves”. And as an added bonus, your people will also be happier, more collaborative, and more productive. That’s what we call a win-win-win. But, how do you define the right system for your environment?
- People make mistakes. A good agency management system reduces human error to the minimumby implementing automated checks and balances at multiple points, including data entry and processing. This helps to avoid double-booking of resources, timesheet errors, and overdue tasks and approvals. This system would ensure that the right people are notified at the right time; that each employee has their own tailored company feed of information and notifications about approvals, overdue tasks, incomplete time sheets, budget overruns, and much more; even automatic reminders to clients when invoices are due.
- A good system empowers people to spend more time and energy focused on their core competencies (both what they are good at, and what is most profitable for your agency). It also works seamlessly across disciplines, to enable collaboration, and increase transparency. That makes for a happier, more productive team, with features like automatically generated Gantt charts; instant importing of credit card transactions into your expense module; cloud-based, “enter from anywhere” timesheets; and automatic notifications when a task is complete, a new comment has been added or even if a team member requests additional time.
- Lastly, a good system automatically provides the right information and a clear vision to people, so that they can gain insight, make decisions and respond to changes in an optimal way – timely, informed, and based on agency-specific KPIs. From the c-suite, you should have a wide, high-level view of your agency operations as a whole, from new business, to projects and resources, and operational costs.
So, while your people are some of the most important assets to your agency, clearing a path for them to do their best work – with an efficient system tailored to meet the specific needs of your business – is the most important thing you can do for both your staff and your agency.
Find out why agencies of all sizes, including Ogilvy South Africa, We Are Social, Veritas and more, use WorkBook as the agency management tool to run their business.
- Agency Leadership
- Agency Traffic Managers
- Creative Operations
- Creative Operations Management
- Creative Operations Resources
- Creative Review and Approval
- Digital Agencies
- Digital Transformation
- In-House Agencies
- KPIs and Benchmarking
- News and Trends
- Project Management
- Review and Approval
- Success Stories
- Thought Leadership