By Dave Scott, Managing Director at BDO
The Department of Defense (DoD) Integrated Program Management Reporting (IPMR) requirement has been replaced. The new IPMDAR Data Item Description (DIMGMT 81861B) was implemented in March 2020 and is being applied to contracts now.
No more fixed format Earned Value Management (EVM) and Integrated Master Schedule (IMS) reporting with summary level data
Data will be provided at the Control Account or Work Package level enabling more detailed DoD analysis
No more separate EVM and IMS reports with disparate information
Cost and schedule data must be fully aligned in terms of dates and status otherwise it may trigger variances
Uploaded to the DoD EVM Central Repository no later than the 16th business day of each month
Less time is available to validate and scrub detailed data creating more opportunities for errors
Data for all Acquisition Category (ACAT) Level contracts (previously ACAT 1 only)
Technical challenge for all organizations from the largest to the smallest DoD contractors
For government contractors that have a pending contract award or are considering bidding on a contract with the Department of Defense, the new IPMDAR requirement is a significant change in project performance reporting.
Specifically, it pertains to contracts with the Defense Federal Acquisition Regulations Supplement (DFARS) clauses requiring project performance reporting using EVM (DFARS 252.234-7001, 7002). The DFARS EVM clauses require EVM reporting on non-firm fixed price, development, modernization and enhancement contracts over $20 million.
Preparation First Steps
Your organization should conduct a comprehensive assessment of your Earned Value Management System (EVMS) and processes to identify the impacts of the new IPMDAR requirement.
- Identify any potential data issues related to cost and schedule integration which will be visible due to presenting lower level data.
- Identify any opportunities to integrate systems and automate current business processes to achieve DoD data delivery by the 16th business day of each month, allowing for additional scrubbing, analysis and validation.
- Analyze data using the Defense Contract Management Agency EVM compliance metrics (DECM) to ensure compliance with the EIA-748 EVMS 32 guidelines.
- Identify any changes required in your organization’s EVMS System Description due to process or system changes.
- Train personnel regarding the IPMDAR requirement and new EVMS processes.
- Near real-time project performance information to improve contractor management situational awareness and more meaningful decision making.
- Department of Defense contract compliance enabling collaboration between your organization and the government program office.
Deltek’s Integrated Project and Portfolio Management (PPM) solutions support the automation, analysis, and creation of the electronic file formats to support the new IPMDAR requirement.
BDO is the premier Deltek partner for implementation of their PPM solutions.
About the Author
Dave Scott is a managing director at BDO for Program Optimization and Project Controls Solutions. He has more than 25 years of experience with both government and commercial customers in the implementation of systems and methodologies to improve management processes. Dave has extensive experience designing, implementing and supporting compliant EVM Systems based on Deltek PPM solutions for government contractors. In addition, he has provided EVMS assurance services supporting government contractors EVMS compliance with the ANSI/EIA 748 standard. Dave is a member of the College of Performance Management (CPM) and supports the National Defense Industrial Association (NDIA) Integrated Program Management Division (IPMD).
- Business Development
- Business Infrastructure
- Contract Management
- Cost Management
- Costs and Expenses
- Deltek Clarity
- Deltek Costpoint
- Deltek Insight
- Deltek News
- Earned Value Management
- Enterprise Resource Planning
- Financial Management
- Firm Management
- Government Contracting
- Human Capital Management
- Industry Analysis
- Industry Analysis
- KPIs and Analytics
- Project and Portfolio Management
- Project Management
- Resource Planning
- Risk Analysis
- Scheduling and Planning
- Small Business
- Talent Management
- Time and Expense Management