Review of MasterSpec Q2 and Q3 2021 Updates
When life gets busy it’s helpful to take a step back and review what has been accomplished. The same is true for the Deltek Specification Solutions team! The Specs team has been busy launching Specpoint, Deltek’s next generation specification solution, but we continue to provide master guide specification updates for: MasterSpec (Word) and MasterSpec for e-SPECS subscriptions. The following is a review of MasterSpec and MasterSpec for e-SPECS Q2 and Q3 2021 updates.
What’s New in MasterSpec Q2 2021 Update
This second release of the year contains 110 Sections. Along with full technical revisions and selective updates across the MasterSpec library, this release includes four additions to the Electrical library and a sustainability update for LEED v4.1 BD+C and ID+C rating systems in the Architectural library. In addition to technical updates, 98 Sections have received minor revision to improve editing functionality. New to MasterSpec as of Q2 are the following Sections in Divisions 27 and 28:
- 270010 Supplemental Requirements for Communications specifies supplemental requirements and reference information generally applicable to the Work specified in Div. 27 Sections.
- 281000 Access Control specifies access control system coordination, warranty, performance, installation, and field quality-control requirements.
- 281400 Access Control System Hardware specifies access control system units, power supplies and battery chargers, and supplementary computer equipment.
- 284800 Emergency Response Systems specifies emergency responder radio coverage systems, emergency responder telephone systems, and two-way emergency communications systems for rescue assistance.
Noteworthy in this release is the technical revision of Section 281300 Access Control Software and Database Management to include updated and new technical standards (see "Referenced Standards" Article in its Evaluations for full citations). Software requirements were completely rewritten for this specification, and equipment was moved to new Section 281400 Access Control System Hardware.
Two Sections have been withdrawn from the MasterSpec library with this release: 061053 Miscellaneous Rough Carpentry and 061063 Exterior Rough Carpentry.
What’s New in MasterSpec Q3 2021 Update
The third release of the year contains 120 Sections. Along with full technical revisions and selective updates across MasterSpec, this release includes five additions to the Electrical library, a new Section in the sustainability offerings of Div. 01, and two additions to the Architectural library:
- 018113.29 Sustainable Design Requirements - LEED v4.1 Residential BD+C Multifamily Homes specifies general requirements and procedures related to the U.S. Green Building Council's LEED v4.1 for Residential Building Design and Construction for Multifamily Homes.
- 061715 Engineered Structural Wood specifies structural composite lumber (laminated-veneer lumber, parallel-strand lumber, and laminated-strand lumber), prefabricated wood I-joists, and engineered rim boards.
- 111136 Vehicle Charging Equipment specifies DC electric vehicle (EV) charging system equipment, DC EV charging system equipment with bidirectional capability, and AC Level 2 EV supply equipment.
- 260533.13 Conduits for Electrical Systems specifies duct raceways and fittings; elbows, couplings, and nipples; threaded metal joint compound; and solvent cements. Section includes content moved from 260533 Raceway and Boxes for Electrical Systems, which is discontinued as of this release.
- 260533.16 Boxes and Covers for Electrical Systems specifies metallic and nonmetallic outlet boxes, junction and pull boxes, cover plates, and hoods. Section includes content moved from 260533.
- 260533.23 Surface Raceways for Electrical Systems specifies surface metal and nonmetallic raceways and fittings; strut-type channel raceways and fittings, and wireways and auxiliary gutters. Section incudes content from 260533.
- 262716 Electrical Cabinets and Enclosures specifies cabinets, cutout boxes, termination boxes, miscellaneous enclosures, rack or frame systems, and enclosure-mounted relocatable power taps. Section includes content from 260533.
- 275119 Sound Masking Systems specifies networked and standalone sound masking systems complying with UL 62368‑1 and standalone sound masking loudspeakers complying with UL 1480A, which are investigated under UL Category Control Numbers (CCN): UL CCN UEAY and UL CCN AZOT. Section replaces 275119.11 Sound Masking Systems, which is discontinued as of this release.
Also important in this release is the selective technical update of available refrigerant types in 236416 Centrifugal Water Chillers and the technical revision of 034500 Precast Architectural Concrete to include updated and new technical standards (see "Referenced Standards" Article in its Evaluations for full citations) including PCI Architectural Certification Program revised from Group A1 to Categories AA, AB, AC, and AD along with updated tolerances in accordance with new PCI certification categories. The following Sections in Divisions 21-23 have received a comprehensive update:
- 210517 Sleeves and Sleeve Seals for Fire-Suppression Piping
- 220516 Expansion Fittings and Loops for Plumbing Piping
- 220517 Sleeves and Sleeve Seals for Plumbing Piping
- 230516 Expansion Fittings and Loops for HVAC Piping
- 230517 Sleeves and Sleeve Seals for HVAC Piping
- 230923.11 Control Valves
- 230923.12 Control Dampers
- 232113 Hydronic Piping
- 271313 Communications Copper Backbone Cabling
Four Sections have been withdrawn from the MasterSpec library. In Div. 26, 260533 Raceway and Boxes for Electrical Systems, 262743 Electric Vehicle Service Equipment - AC Level 1 and Level 2, and 262746 Electric Vehicle Service Equipment - DC Level 1 and Level 2 have been discontinued with content moved to new Div. 26 Sections mentioned above. Content of discontinued 275119.11 Sound Masking Systems has moved to 275119 Sound Masking Systems.
Note: The Deltek team discovered (post-Q3 MasterSpec for e-SPECs release), several Section in the MasterSpec for e-SPECS Third Update inadvertently omitted relevant sustainability language. Revisions have been applied to the following Sections:
- 055313: Bar Gratings
- 055316: Plank Gratings
- 055319: Expanded Metal Gratings
- 055963: Detention Enclosures
- 057100: Decorative Metal Stairs
- 057113: Fabricated Metal Spiral Stairs
In addition, extraneous hyperlinks were found in the following Sections:
- 061516: Wood Roof Decking
- 107313: Awnings
- 211313: Wet-Pipe Sprinkler systems
- 260533.13: Conduits for Electrical Systems
- 260533.23: Surface Raceways for Electrical Systems
- 262716: Electrical Cabinets and Enclosures
These items have been repaired. Corrected files are available for download here.
How to Access MasterSpec Updates
MasterSpec Licensed Customers:
- Visit the User Resources section of our website to find MasterSpec Supporting Documents, Tables of Contents, and Standards Organizations.
e-SPECS Customers Licensed for MasterSpec:
- The updated Q2 MasterSpec for e-SPECS section list, and link to download the update file are available in the Release Notes.
- The updated Q3 MasterSpec for e-SPECS section list, and the link to download the update file please access the Release Notes.
- Note: The MasterSpec for e-SPECS Q2 and Q3 2021 update applies to e-SPECS versions 9.x. and later. If you are running an earlier version of e-SPECS, contact your support representative to upgrade to a current version before applying the MasterSpec update.
Additional Updates: MasterWorks
The Q3 2021 MasterSpec release also included an update to MasterWorks.
MasterWorks has been updated to disable support for the deprecated TLS (Transport Layer Security) 1.1 protocol.
Deltek has disabled TLS 1.1 to ensure that we provide our customers and partners with safe and secure protocols for our connections. This change is enforced throughout the industry to maintain secure connections that encrypt and protect data from malicious breach.
Please update MasterWorks to version 7.5.48 to get the latest protection.
Changes made to MasterWorks 7.5.48 include the following:
- Version 7.5.48 uses TLS 1.2, required by major browsers and many networking services.
- Proxy fix: This fixes a problem in which some users were unable to get the latest content from Paragraph Builder.
- Update certificate expiration: MasterWorks macros have been signed with an updated certificate. This allows MasterWorks to continue to operate with Word.
The Deltek team is committed to providing you with premier specifications content to support this critical component of your business. If you have questions about accessing any product update releases or installations, please contact us at https://deltek.custhelp.com/.
About the Author
Denise McDaniel is an experienced professional with a passion for helping AEC firms know more about their business and do more for their clients. As a Sr. Product Marketing Specialist, she leads the Deltek Specifications Solutions product positioning and messaging by providing key insights, benchmarks, and trends to A&E firms. Her experience working in both the software technology sector and for a general contractor/construction management firm brings a unique perspective to the Deltek Specifications product line.