The 21st Century Way of Managing Information
The 20th century brought with it countless innovations, most of which have improved our lives in one way or another. The digital age opened up our world, providing us access to all sorts of information. But what started as a convenience has turned into information overload.
Now apply that to the way architects and engineers manage their companies and their projects. There is an abundance of information to share not only with employees, but also across project teams (both internal and external). Network folders and emails worked for a time, but that structure limits the amount of true collaboration amongst team members. From documents being misfiled to emails hiding in inboxes to simply not everyone having access to the files they need, collaboration is inefficient at best.
Software companies have recognized this disjointedness and several have attempted to fix the issue. However, only Deltek PIM truly transforms the way information is stored so that your teams can be more effective, spending less time searching for information and more time performing the tasks that are vital to your company’s success.
Deltek PIM is not a cookie-cutter solution; it is as unique as you are. Configured to your company’s needs, your users can adopt the critical processes needed to get the most out of the system quickly providing more value, faster ROI, and improved risk mitigation.
Gain Better Visibility
Manage your project information in one place. Traditionally, project information is stored in silos, making it challenging to find the information you need when you need it. From emails buried in inboxes, documents saved on desktops, and multiple drawing versions stored in various network folders, it is difficult to have a holistic view into your projects.
Advantages of Deltek PIM
- Compels users to proactively manage incoming and outgoing emails directly into PIM using familiar email functionality.
- Provides a dashboard view of deliverables for all of your projects in a single location so you can examine all deadlines, outstanding issues, and action items in one place.
- Manages company-wide information, allowing employees access to HR, marketing, and other pertinent corporate information giving staff access to the latest branded files, HR forms, legal documents, policies and procedures, and more.
- Allow users to bypass the system to store information whenever and wherever they prefer, which only continues to feed into silos and increases the risk for misplaced information.
- Are limited to organizing only project-related information, isolating departmental teams such as marketing and accounting, prohibiting access to project information needed to do their jobs more efficiently as well as limiting the project team’s accessibility to current documents.
Improve Search Functionality
Save time manually indexing each document. The power of Deltek PIM is revealed when you need to locate a key piece of information. Deltek PIM searches all of your documents in a matter of seconds.
Advantages of Deltek PIM
- Applies smart logic to indexing when saving a file, freeing up time to perform billable tasks.
- Automatically indexes document content in a database-like fashion, speeding up searching.
- Allows users to search in a single project or across all projects, empowering users to work faster with fewer clicks.
- Require that each document is constantly re-indexed, ensuring that nothing has moved or was deleted outside of the software, which hinders accuracy and performance.
- Limit accessibility to one project at a time, resulting in more clicks and less flexibility.
Strengthen Version Control
Ensure team members are working on the most up-to-date files. With Deltek PIM everyone has access to the “one place of truth,” which improves efficiency and accuracy.
Advantage of Deltek PIM
- Allows users—in a single click—to momentarily lock a document or drawing until required edits have been made. Checking a document back into Deltek PIM is just as effortless.
- Do not have a check-in/check-out process for documents, resulting in multiple versions and confusion. This causes team members to work from different versions of the same file and often results in unnecessary rework, risking mistakes and inaccuracies, and wasting valuable time.
Increase Field Productivity
Enable your field staff to stay productive onsite. With Mobile Working, your field teams can continue to move a project forward with access to critical information, as well as keep your office staff up to date on relevant field events.
Advantages of Deltek PIM
- Provides access to current documents from smart phones or tablets, enabling field staff to address issues in the field far more quickly.
- Offers custom forms that are flexible to record data important to the company.
- Allows field staff to take photos, mark them up, tag and upload them immediately to the system. This provides your entire team with up-to-date information no matter where they are.
- Have multiple apps to address several needs which leads to inefficiencies and broken processes.
- Do not have a flexible custom form to ensure all site processes are captured and synced consistently. You are limited to the form fields that other solutions deem important, which may omit vital information important to your company.
Want to learn more about how to empower your company to bring your information management to the 21st century? Schedule a demo of Deltek PIM by clicking here.
About the Author
Linda Dininger spent over 20 years creating marketing content for architecture, engineering, and construction firms. She also is a former Deltek Vision user and has implemented a CRM solution that transformed the way the business development group managed their contacts and pipeline. Now as product marketing for Deltek Project Information Management (PIM), Linda combines her knowledge of the AEC industry with the power that proactive information management can provide companies. Connect with Linda on LinkedIn.